It’s no secret that the kids and I love to bake together. We’re always looking for new snacks to whip up in the kitchen. Of course we love our cookies, but I do try to keep it healthy when I can…promise!
So a few months ago I found this recipe for banana oatmeal muffins and they hit the spot. We’ve made them many times since and after a few tweaks to the original recipe- they are perfect! We even throw in chocolate chips or pecans from time to time. 😉
The recipe is super simple for tiny hands AND it freezes well. After we taste test a few for quality control, I throw the rest in a freezer ziplock. They make the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack on busy school days. Simply microwave them for about 30 seconds and you’re good to go (careful- they might have hot spots).
Does anything smell better than freshly baked muffins? I mean, other than cookies? 😉
Banana Oatmeal Muffins
Recipe adapted from HERE
2 cups flour
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 mashed bananas
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
3. In a separate bowl, stir bananas with eggs, melted and cooled butter, and vanilla. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in a cup of chocolate chips or pecans if you feel like it! 😉
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin tin and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until cooked through in the center.
5. Cool for 5 minutes in muffin tin before moving muffins to wire rack to cool completely. If you plan to freeze, cool completely before storing in freezer ziplock.